Homeowners and DIY’ers often make risky calculations regarding whether or not they should get their utility lines marked before they begin any digging projects - sometimes with very serious and costly results!
Every digging project utilizing mechanized equipment in the state of Indiana requires a call to the Indiana Underground Plant Protection Services (IUPPS) Call Before You Dig Center. This simple call will get all the utility lines on your property marked - what you don’t know can hurt you!
Here is the simple process:
1. Call 811 or 800-382-5544.
2. The operator will guide you through the process.
4. Get your ticket number from the operator.
5. Wait the required 48 hours so all utilities have adequate time to find and mark the lines.
6. Use care and hand dig within two feet of the buried utility line.
For more information, visit IUPPS.